Saturday, February 2, 2008

Ba Da Ba Ba Baa! I'm Lovin' It!

Can you believe it? Two posts in one day! I was feeling rather guilty because I cheated on my last one.

Anyway, I don't think anybody is appreciating my clever (a.k.a. dork-tastic) Lewis Carroll allusions. You know, Alice in Wonderland (Fushigi no Kuni), Through the Looking Glass, and the previous post's title from the poem, "The Jabberwocky." *sigh* I just couldn't help myself from drawing parallels between my exploration of Japan and Alice's dazzling -- often daunting -- adventures in a surreal landscape.

However, I've changed my mind. Japan doesn't feel surreal. It doesn't feel like I'm wandering through a dreamscape or some madman's fantasy. On the contrary, I have never felt more awake! Furthermore, in Japan I don't feel that out of place. Yes, I realize there are differences between cultures. But on some level we are the same. In any culture around the world -- even in Japan -- you can find the important things in life, the things that make us human, things like smiles, laughter, friendships, and most importantly...


MCDONALDS!!!

Okay, I was serious about the other stuff, but I have a confession to make. During my first week in Japan, I ate at a McDonalds, and it was delicious! I couldn't help myself! There's one right next to the cafeteria on campus. Escape is impossible! Anyway, to describe my transgression: The fries tasted EXACTLY the same as in America. Yet, the cheeseburger and soda tasted slightly different. The soda being more syrupy and the burger....well just different. Also ordering is a bit more complicated. Then again, maybe it's easier, and it just took a while for me to understand this new system.

First, I tried some fries. What a cute lil' Pikachu!


Then a bite of the cheeseburger. Look how it shines!



And here's my friend Ashley eating both at the same time. She's really lovin' it!



Okay, enough with this silliness, and back to what I was talking about before. You see, what really matters in life is....hold up...what am I saying? The silly stuff is what really matters. ;-)

Stay classy, my friends!

p.s. Classes start on Monday, so don't expect another post until Friday. I'm thinking I'll make this a weekly thing (or a whenever-I-feel-like-it thing).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, I'm appreciating your clever allusions! I think they're pretty sweet. I also love how they have Pikachu on the french fries thingy.. it makes me want to go play pokemon, haha. I'm looking forward to hearing how your classes go on Monday. But in the meantime, have a good weekend! Party like a Rock Star! :-)