Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What Alice Found There

I have so much to write about! There have been lots of red tape and paper work going on with school, which I don't think I'll ever write about, but there was also a trip to Hirakata with some friends, which I don't have time to write about, even though it was tanoshii (fun)! Instead, I'm going to show you pictures of my walk between the school and the seminar house.

Here are some cute little tanuki (raccoon dogs) lining a wall. In Japanese folklore tanuki spirits are "mischievous and jolly, masters of disguise and shapeshifting, but somewhat gullible and absent-minded." (Thank you Wikipedia!)


Here's the front of a house that I thought was pretty.

And here's a park. I've seen kids playing in it before, but today it was vacant because of the rain. Although a children's park, the area is solemn and quiet. The air reminiscent of a shrine or some other holy place.

Look! A friendly gate guardian. What do you think her name is? No, I don't know what the kanji beneath her says. I'll do some investigating.

Well, that concludes my tour. I wanted to include some pictures of the narrow and winding streets, but there were always people walking on them, so I was somewhat reluctant.

2 comments:

Angela A. said...

OMG you have such beautiful pictures! I'm so glad that you're having such a good time. Japan looks AMAZING! My trip starts soon and I'm getting nervous and excited. You're going to learn so much. Luv ya and talk to you soon.

kcmel said...

Hi Kate! I just got the address for this blog today! Em, allie, and t will be so excited to be able to communicate with you outside of facebook (especially T). Love love the pics and descriptions. I am so excited for you and all the adventures that are yet to come. I can't believe that you are really there! We will be checking back frequently to see what all you are doing! Keep taking those pictures, too!
love, aunt melissa